The Logistics Associate Apprenticeship was born of the need to address the Skills shortage within the Irish Freight, Logistics, Shipping and Distribution industries. As the economy grows, there is an increasing need to fill these skilled and knowledgeable roles.
Representatives Associations and Employers from across these sectors collaborated to develop a programme to meet the needs and requirements of Businesses at both Multi-National to SME level. Industry specific knowledge is delivered to Apprentices, focusing on core modules (hyper-link to Apprenticeship page wish lists Year 1 and Year 2 content) and providing a broad understanding of the industry and working relationship across each sector.
Choosing to take on Apprentices can bring benefits to Business in many forms such as fresh enthusiasm with new Employees, entering with new skillsets and fresh perspectives. Apprenticeships can also increase staff levels with the benefit of lower recruitment costs and leading to professionally qualified staff at the end of the programme, with a culture of professional development.
What is required for an Employer to provide for an Apprenticeship?
- A 2 year employment contract (salary determined by Employer)
- Suitable role within the company and dedicated workspace to carry out the role
- 1 day per week release to attend Technological University Dublin or Cork Institute of Technology for Academic Studies
- A workplace Mentor to support the Apprentice and ensure that the Apprentice completes all work based and academic goals as part of programme (training provided for this role by TU Dublin and CIT)
Benefit of recruiting apprentices for employers:
- Upskilling opportunities for existing employees
- Build loyalty amongst staff and reduce the staff turnover
- Offers career progression opportunities
- Help with succession planning
- Attracts new entrants into your organsiation and the sector
- Tuition-Free reduces the training cost
- Free QQI level 6 certified Mentor training provided by TU Dublin and CIT to work-based mentors
- The programme is built around work-related experience and work specific projects
- Apprenticeship Incentivisation Scheme offers financial support for apprenticeship employers
Employer Registration Process:
Employers wishing to proceed to provide an Apprenticeship placement should contact the Project Manager Anna Gorecka at to register their interest and complete a short assessment, outlining the requirements of the Programme. Our porject manager will then arrange for a SOLAS Authorisation Officer from the Employer’s area to visit the workplace and complete a short Employer Suitability to Train Apprentices Form.